• Welcome to Troika Cafe. Please click here to read a helpful introduction to the website.

Welcome to the Troika Cafe!

Mike

Administrator
Administrator
I'll start the introductions and hope all new members will continue by letting us know a little about themselves.

My fascination with Troika started about 15 years ago when I saw a couple of Troika vases featured on an episode of BBC's Flog It!. I had never heard of Troika, but liked the colors, textures, and shapes of the wheel and coffin vases that featured in the episode. My interest continued, but I could not find any examples in local German shops and flea markets.

About two years ago, I found an online auction site, the-saleroom, that serves as a portal for lots of UK (and other locations) auction houses. I was finally able to virtually attend UK auctions from the comfort of my home, hotel, car, or train station, and actively bid on items of interest. Since finding the-saleroom, I have successfully bid on hundreds of items (not only Troika).

My first online auction was with Stacey's Auctioneers and Valuers in October 2014. I was the successful bidder for five Troika vases and eagerly waited for them arrive. Actually having the items in my hands was a feeling I won't forget, as this was the first time I had been able to hold a Troika vase.

As of today, my Troika collection is about 100 pieces...and growing. However, 15 of those pieces are a 6-place coffee set, so one could argue that they collectively count as one.

In addition to Troika, I collect Moorcroft and Clarice Cliff ceramics, Whitefriars (mostly Geoffrey Baxter) and Lalique glass, Newlyn and Keswick copper, and Franz Bergman bronze figures.