• Welcome to Troika Cafe. Please click here to read a helpful introduction to the website. New membership is currently on hold.

Welcome to the Troika Cafe!

Mike

Administrator
Administrator
I'll start the introductions and hope all new members will continue by letting us know a little about themselves.

My fascination with Troika started about 15 years ago when I saw a couple of Troika vases featured on an episode of BBC's Flog It!. I had never heard of Troika, but liked the colors, textures, and shapes of the wheel and coffin vases that featured in the episode. My interest continued, but I could not find any examples in local German shops and flea markets.

About two years ago, I found an online auction site, the-saleroom, that serves as a portal for lots of UK (and other locations) auction houses. I was finally able to virtually attend UK auctions from the comfort of my home, hotel, car, or train station, and actively bid on items of interest. Since finding the-saleroom, I have successfully bid on hundreds of items (not only Troika).

My first online auction was with Stacey's Auctioneers and Valuers in October 2014. I was the successful bidder for five Troika vases and eagerly waited for them arrive. Actually having the items in my hands was a feeling I won't forget, as this was the first time I had been able to hold a Troika vase.

As of today, my Troika collection is about 100 pieces...and growing. However, 15 of those pieces are a 6-place coffee set, so one could argue that they collectively count as one.

In addition to Troika, I collect Moorcroft and Clarice Cliff ceramics, Whitefriars (mostly Geoffrey Baxter) and Lalique glass, Newlyn and Keswick copper, and Franz Bergman bronze figures.